Six Conservative Guys




Six Conservative Guys - Proudly Serving the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Since 2003



We'll gladly reply to or publish your response. E-mail Six Conservative Guys

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, October 03, 2005
 
The More I Think About This Nomination, The More I Don't Like It

Conservatives are not pleased about Meier.

I have given the President my support on a lot of things. But what do you think is more likely -- that she turns out to be a "stealth" Scalia or a "stealth" Souter?

Yeah. I think so too.

The only question now is whether Democrats want to give Bush a defeat so badly that they will risk another nominee. I think the smart move is to take what you can get and let the right feast on Bush for a while. But the Democrats have proved that they will never let smarts get in the way of pleasing their base.

Given that I cannot imagine who would advise Bush to select Meier, I have to assume this was his call, done over the objections of his advisers. That would explain the sour tone in the President's voice this morning when he announced the pick.

I am hopeful that this isn't the moment we look back and say that the President has "jumped the shark." There are lots more opportunities in the next 3 years... and she could turn out to be a great justice. But I wouldn't bet on it.


Comments:
another chance for Bush to prove that Republicans are conservatives, not just dems in disguise. Another chance lost. She contributed to Gore's campaign for Gods sake. I swear Bush has lost it.
 
I have not read (at the point I type this) more than 5 minutes on this candidate. But I was expecting the president to appoint a solid, no questions asked conservative (unlike Roberts) - someone completely unwavering, where it was undisputable where they were coming from. Since the liberals will try to crush any nominee for this seat - someone who was a nightmare for the far and near Left.

God, I hope we don't have another Souter on our hands.
 
I dunno. Hugh Hewitt is pretty optimistic about this.

I'm not sure what to think. I'm not going to jump to a conclusion, though. I mean, people were pretty skeptical about Roberts at first, right?
 
YEAH OK HAL, GRAB TIGHTER TO THE PARTY LINE...BUT GUESS WHAT, ITS NOT ATTACHED TO THE PARTY YOU BELIVED AND TRUSTED IN. I HOPE ITS TRUE BUSH STARTED DRINKING AGAIN, SO AT LEAST THERE WILL BE AN EXCUSE.
 
I SERIOUSLY FEEL VIOLATED.
 
Question for Mmark - why are you trying to scare away our new readers (specifically, Hal).

What is frustrating about this nomination is that Republicans WON the election... and the right to nominate and confirm a conservative justice. Bush was quite clear when he said he would nominate someone in the Scalia/Thomas mold. The people who elected the President deserve more than wishing and hoping on this nominee. She might be a clone of Scalia, for all I know. But that's the thing. I don't. Nobody does. That's a problem.

If you ask me, this is Bush trying to avoid a fight that would force liberal Republican Senators to either alienate the conservatives who help elect them, or the editorial boards whose day-to-day approval they covet.
 
SORRY TJ, I DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS MY TURN TO SPONSOR THE NEW READER...SORRY HAL, AND WELCOME!!!
 
Now that's more like it! Maybe if you disabled the caps lock, it wouldn't seem so much like yelling; though, to be fair, that may have been your intention.
 
sorry for the caps, I was standing on my chair.
 
Post a Comment